Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Adventure



I am the friend that when someone wants to try something and needs a buddy to go with them they call me up. Well, yes this was one of those incidents and here is how it went!!

I was over at Celinas and we got to talking about Bikram Yoga that we had read about on an old roommates blog that she had done a 30 day challenge. So Celina did some research and we jumped right into going. We arrived a bit apprehensive as to what we would experience.

This is us on our way up ( A little nervous)


Here I am all prepared or so I thought!!


When we went inside and talked with the instructor for a few minutes she let us in on a few ideas of what we would be experiencing. One it is about 110 degrees in the room at 40% humidity; second we would be doing 50 minutes of standing poses and then 40 minutes of laying down poses; three it is very important to properly breathe through your nose so that your body can stay relaxed and benefit fully from the exercises and three really for a beginner our goal is to just stay in the room!! The sign on the door says, "no talking, no cell phones and no complaining!" We weren't quite sure we wanted to enter becuase we are not really that great on being quiet when we are next to each other!! I took a Hatha Yoga class in college and I think 90% of the time I was trying not to laugh and the other 10% I was snorting so I was a bit skeptical as to what I was going to be able to suppress.

Fortunately the instructor was very "normal" and everything was very difficult so it demanded my entire focus to maintain my breathing and listening to the instructor so I might be able to perform the poses. There were a few moments throughout the class that all I could think about was fleeing madly from the room due to the heat and that I felt like I couldn't get enough air. Luckily I was able to get myself under control and continue on. When the class was done I was completely wiped out and fully drenched in sweat!!! I am not a sweater so I was not used to having so much sweat pouring out of my body and was rightly amazed that one person could sweat so much!! Here I am afterwards:



So I am heading back Saturday morning for my next torture/workout session I am hoping it will go better than last time!! My friend went back yesterday and had read up on some tips that helped so I am going to stock up on some pedialite before I go!!! To read my partner in Bikram Yoga and more informational viewpoint you can read here.

5 comments:

SarahPreston said...

rumor has it that you are a champ at it!

Single Girl said...

ok I think I might be hooked. Did you go this morning???

We need to go together again. STAT

Jake & Kayla McIntire said...

That doesn't sound like much fun. If anyone is up to it try it though, it would be you. You're willing to try anything. I wish I was that daring!

Nadia said...

Hey, remember me?? Its your long lost cousin Nadia. I love your blog! It was so fun seeing you over Christmas and catching up.

Sarah said...

good for you, i've heard that's awesome.